The following overview of projects, blogs, seminars, mailing lists, conferences and resources may be of use to students and other scholars starting out in philosophy of physics and related fields. As this overview is incomplete, I would welcome suggestions. See here for some info about studying philosophy of physics.
Projects & other collaborations
- Epistemology of the Large Hadron Collider: an interdisciplinary, DFG-funded research unit bringing together physicists and philosophers/ historians/ sociologists of science to discuss topics related to the LHC
- Establishing the Philosophy of Cosmology: a large project aiming at bringing together Cosmologists and Philosophers of Physics during Pedagogical Conferences and Summer Schools. One branch of the project is located in New York (Rutgers, Columbia, NYU), the other branch in the UK (Oxford, Cambridge).
- New Directions in Philosophy of Cosmology: large project helmed by Chris Smeenk (Western University) and Jim Weatherall (University of California, Irvine)
- Beyond Spacetime: a project on the philosophy of quantum gravity helmed by Nick Huggett (University of Illinois, Chicago) and Chris Wüthrich (University of Geneva)
- The role of inference to the best explanation in the discovery of gravitational waves: project helmed by Dennis Lehmkuhl as part of the DFG-funded resarch unit “Inductive Metaphysics”
- Black Hole Initiative, Harvard University
- Dutch Black Holes Consortium
- John Bell Institute for the Foundations of Physics
- Taking Up Spacetime: a very popular blog on Philosophy of Physics, which posts all relevant Calls for Papers, Conference dates, Job Vacancies, etc.
- Daily Nous: blog on all matters related to academic philosophy; this is where philosophers get their news.
- Preposterous Universe: a blog by philosophically interested theoretical physicist Sean Carroll
- Backreaction: a blog by philosophically interested theoretical physicist Sabine Hossenfelder
- Triton Station: a blog by Stacy McGaugh: the struggle of the modified gravity rebels against the dark matter bullies
- Auxiliary Hypotheses: Blog of the British Journal for the Philosophy of Science
- Philosophers’ Cocoon: Forum where early-career philosophers can obtain advice
- News related to the Lichtenberg Group for History and Philosophy of Physics
Seminars & Discussion Groups
- Bonn History and Philosophy of Physics Research Seminar (Tuesdays)
- Oxford Philosophy of Physics Research Seminars (Thursdays)
- Peebles Fan Club: global online discussion group on the history, philosophy & sociology of the intersection between cosmology, astronomy & particle physics (Wednesdays)
- Black Hole Initiative Colloquium (Tuesdays)
- The Sigma Club (Mondays)
- Geneva Symmetry Group Seminar (Thursdays)
- BBLOC Philosophy of Physics Seminar (Thursdays)
- Warsaw Spacetime Colloquium (Fridays)
- Oxford University Physics Society
- Oxford University Philosophical Society
- The Jowett Society: talks on Theoretical Philosophy in Oxford
- POP-Grunch: Philosophy of Physics Graduate Lunch Seminar (contact me to get on the email list)
- Oxford Union: world’s most famous debating society, organising many science and philosophy debates & speaker events
- ESAP-NEWS. European Society for Analytical Philosophy
- HPP. Bonn History and Philosophy of Physics
- PHILOS-L. General philosophy. Europe.
- PSA Mailing List. Philosophy of Science. International.
- FILOS-NL. General philosophy. For Dutch-speaking regions.
- UCLA PhilPhys. Philosophy of Physics. UCLA, but also relevant if you are not located in that region.
- British Society for the Philosophy of Science, Annually
- The Philosophy of Science Association, Biennially
- European Philosophy of Science Association, Biennially
- European Congress of Analytic Philosophy, Triennially
- UK and European Meeting on the Foundations of Physics, Triennially (2017)
- Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft, 3-4 Meetings per year. Often the Working Group on Philosophy of Physics organises talks on Philosophy of Physics as part of these meetings.
- Oxford Philosophy Graduate Conference, Annually
- OSZW (Dutch) Graduate Conference for Theoretical Philosophy, Annually
- Conference in Philosophy of Physics, combined with Graduate Conference in Logic, Maths & Physics, Annually, Western University, Ontario, Canada
- Salzburg Conference for Young Analytic Philosophy (SOPhiA), Annually
- List of Philosophers of Physics, and Erik Curiel’s Philosophy of Physics Proofs-That-P
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, which can be neatly visualised here (desktop/laptop only)
- MAP (Minorities And Philosophy)
- PhilJobs: jobs in academic philosophy
- Archive for Mathematical Sciences and Philosophy: archive of audio and video recordings of talks on mathematical sciences and philosophy, dating back to 1972